Polo 9N 1.6 Project From Greece

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 3. Sep 2018, 15:50

Hello from Greece. I'm the owner of a Polo 9N 1.4 BBY 75hp. Car has been stroked to 1.6 and I'm looking for some info and opinions. I see that your community has a quite big experience on these engines. I tried to translate some topics in english, but as you know Google Translate isn't very helpful sometimes :haha:
I would be glad if someone could help me and share experiences on the topic in english. :hurra2:

So first of all let me give you some info about my car:
1) Engine block : 1.6 BCB as well as crankshaft, pistons and rods
2) Head : 1.4 AUB along with stock AUB camshafts for now
3) 1.4 AUB throttle body, intake manifold, injectors
4) 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
5) 52mm exhaust pipe with one muffler
6) R8 ignition coils
7) Stock BBY Marelli 4MV ECU

So that's the current situation with my car. My plans for the future:

1) Aftermarket camshafts : In Greece the best option is considered to be Dbilas 252/10 cams. A lot of people have tested them on similar setups with good results. Unfortunately they cost a fortune to get new and I'm trying to find some used ones in good condition.
Also, anybody here tested Schrick cams for this engine?

2) Throttle body : I'm going to use the renault vdo throttle body (408238827002). I have seen this mod posted in another forum and if I'm not mistaked the poster X-MAN is participating in this forum as well.

3) Aftermarket intake manifold : I need some help here. Does anybody know any other brands except Dbilas?

4) Aftermarket air intake setup : I'm thinking about BMC CDA or a Simota Peugeot 206 sourced intake. It can be fitted on the Polo with some tweaking and has been tested in Greece with good results. Any other suggestions?

5) Custom ECU remap

Please feel free to tell me your opinions about my choices, even if they make me sad. My target is to reach 150hp or so. Do you thing something else except the above mentioned things is needed to reach this target?
I would also be glad if people who have similar projects could share their spec lists and dyno results.

Thanks in advance!

P.S Does anybody know the spec list of this polo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKmx1hvUKT8

Dieses Projekt wird durch Werbung finanziert. Lästig? Dann werde einfach Teil unserer Community! Jetzt kostenlos registrieren!

X-MAN

Ungelesener Beitragvon X-MAN » 14. Sep 2018, 13:46

You can use the Renault throttlebody as you said, or this VW 2.0 TSI throttle 06F133062G. But it hast no vacuum port if needed.

Good intake mainfold is from the polo gti 1.6 16v AJV or from old 1.4 16v polo AFH. The AJV is made in one piece were the AFH can be disassembled. But the AJV is the biggest stock one you can get.

Please feel freee to post lots of pictures from your build :hurra2: ;)
mfg X-MAN

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 15. Sep 2018, 22:41

Hey X-MAN! Is the 2.0 tsi tb larger than the renault one?

So exterior-wise my car is a completely stock silver 9n, 5door, with steel wheels. I don't really care for improving its looks, atleast for the moment. My main focus is placed on the engine things right now and after I will start messing with chassis upgrades.
I have some photos of the progress.

When I replaced the stock BBY throttle body and intake manifold with the bigger AUB ones
Bild
Bild

The AUB head after it was removed from the donor engine.
Bild
Bild

After I got it back from the machine shop. Skimmed 0.1mm, new valve stem seals installed, checked valve guides and seats, pressure tested for leaks etc.
Bild

A photo of all the parts before taking the engine to the shop to be assembled. Block also had been honed and new piston rings installed.
Bild

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 15. Sep 2018, 22:47

At the shop.
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Here is a photo of the simota intake I mentioned, installed on a Ibiza 6l.
Bild

Polocruiser21

Ungelesener Beitragvon Polocruiser21 » 14. Dez 2018, 13:20

Realy good project. I also like do this engineswap, because it ist very easy to change. Now I have the dbilas Stage 3 Kit,but I think i will be switch it into the 1.6 engine. Is the engine running? Did you make a test on the dyno to see the horsepower and the torque?
Fahrzeuge: Polo 9N3 Goal  

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 15. Dez 2018, 15:58

Realy good project. I also like do this engineswap, because it ist very easy to change. Now I have the dbilas Stage 3 Kit,but I think i will be switch it into the 1.6 engine. Is the engine running? Did you make a test on the dyno to see the horsepower and the torque?
Thanks for your words. Engine is on the car and running since summer, unfortunately still on stock 1.4 bby 75hp map with 5800rpm revlimit. I just bought an aftermarket intake manifold. It's built on the stock runners, using a custom fabricated plenum. I'm still searching for some aftermarket cams and a renault 57mm throttle body. After that it will get remapped and dynoed. I think this will happen with the new year.

Can you explain what the stage 3 dbilas consists of? thanks

Polocruiser21

Ungelesener Beitragvon Polocruiser21 » 17. Dez 2018, 14:50

I'm looking forward to hear from your project, because I didn't know anybody who is interested in this theme.
You can show in my foto album the modification.

The Stage 3 Kit from dBilas consist of...

...two camshaft with 248° and 252°degrees
...big intake
...air filter box
...and a software adaptation.

The engine ist running with 130Nm and 128 Horspower. It runs very well and it makes a lot of fun to rev the limiter, because the sound is nearly by an old 4 cylinder DTM cars.

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 19. Dez 2018, 17:36

What rpm is your revlimiter set? 128hp and 130nm is a nice figure for a 1390cc engine. My project is progressing slowly do to uni life, but I'm getting there.Unfortunately, I cannot find some used 252/10 dbilas cams, even after searching for months. The price for a new set is too high for me.

Polocruiser21

Ungelesener Beitragvon Polocruiser21 » 20. Dez 2018, 10:48

Ok the camshafts price were around 600€. It's a lot of money this compenents should be very clean. Othervise the engine will be killed. :D
The revlimiter is set by 7500rpm, but after 7000rpm is no more torque because the exhaust system is to small. I have to upgrade this in the future.

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 29. Dez 2018, 13:31

Some updates on my build.

I bought a custom made intake manifold. It uses the stock afh runners and a custom plenum. Here are some photos.
Bild
Bild
Bild

I also bought a pair of Schrick 252/9 cams.
Bild

Both manifold and cams costed me 400 euros, so I'm quite happy. Next step now is finding a megane 2 throttle body and cleaning the aub injectors, so that I'm ready to go for a mapping session, hopefully on the dyno.

Polocruiser21

Ungelesener Beitragvon Polocruiser21 » 11. Jan 2019, 10:51

Hello buddy,
did you complete the engine? The purple mainfold looks very nice. :top:

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 11. Jan 2019, 21:09

Hello,
No I didn't install anything yet. I'm studying in a different town and I don't have the car with me during this time. The project will continue after 30th of January, when I'm going back to my hometown. My first step is to install the intake manifold. In order to do this I need:
1) Close the 2 extra vacuum ports that this intake has.
2) Extend the wiring for both throttle body and MAP sensor, as they have to be on the opposite side than the one they are now.
3) Make sure that the 'plate' for the throttle body is flat, so that I dont have any vacuum leaks.

Due to my limited time, I think that is the step that will be done in February. Maybe I will find a megane throttle body as well.
Cams and final remap will be hopefully done by summer. That is the plan I have in mind, I want the car finished for the summer.

Thanks for following my topic! I will keep it updated with photos from the intake manifold installation process and whatever is to follow.

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 13. Feb 2019, 15:54

Hello buddy,
did you complete the engine? The purple mainfold looks very nice. :top:
Hello buddy,
I sent you a PM to ask for something. Looking to hear back from you!

heckspoiler

Ungelesener Beitragvon heckspoiler » 13. Feb 2019, 23:59

Γειά σου! NachoBides,

is it right, that you drive the 1,6 Engine Block (BCB) with the old original BBY motor control unit (ecu) ?

Beste Grüße

Hecki

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 14. Feb 2019, 15:37

Γειά σου! NachoBides,

is it right, that you drive the 1,6 Engine Block (BCB) with the old original BBY motor control unit (ecu) ?

Beste Grüße

Hecki
Yes my engine consists of and 1.4 aub head and a 1.6 bcb block. The ecu is still the stock bby unit with the stock bby 75hp map.

Deadpool

Ungelesener Beitragvon Deadpool » 19. Feb 2019, 10:03

Ηello from me, from Greece!!! :brow_ :brow_ Thank you for accepting me!
I have started this project, but I have not perfected it yet...
Leave it here to i help you and you help me! :top: :top:

Sorry for my bad English!!!

Themenersteller
NachoBides

Ungelesener Beitragvon NachoBides » 22. Feb 2019, 21:57

Ηello from me, from Greece!!! :brow_ :brow_ Thank you for accepting me!
I have started this project, but I have not perfected it yet...
Leave it here to i help you and you help me! :top: :top:

Sorry for my bad English!!!
Check your pm

Dieses Projekt wird durch Werbung finanziert. Lästig? Dann werde einfach Teil unserer Community! Jetzt kostenlos registrieren!